Okay, now this is something that I am stoked to learn about.

Wouldn’t it be neat to have 3D design software and printing capabilities in the classroom? This is a tool that I feel has unlimited possibilities, a playground of sorts for the imagination. With 3D design and print, kids are invited to individually or collectively engage their creative muscles and think outside the box.

On Thursday, October 10, 2019, I will be attending my first intro workshop to 3D Design and Print, and I can’t wait to get some hands on experience with the software.

In this introductory workshop, we will be working with TinkerCad in the design process. Here is a video explaining how to use the program:

And the 3D printing will occur using MakerBot Print:

I do wonder, however, what is the environmental impact of 3D printing? Is it a sustainable practice long-term? Is the material produced biodegradable? Where is the material sourced? And by whom? Is it feasible to have this in a public school classroom (i.e. what are the associated costs)? Is it accessible to children of all backgrounds and abilities? These are all questions that I hope to answer along the way, and I’m sure more questions will come to mind as I delve deeper into this 3D world.

More on this later!

Sincerely,

Me